Tuesday, April 19, 2011

these knots are gonna come untied

[warning. I'm grumpy today. And feeling more opinionated than usual.]

You probably know about this book.Some of you may even roll your eyes and puff up at my even mentioning it. Don't worry: today, I don't care how you feel. That's not what I'm talking about, so before you get all agitated that silly little me is bringing it up - chill out. 
I've always found this theory(ies) fascinating. Not because I love love but because I am always fascinated by the study of how all of us get along, or don't, with each other. What is even more fascinating to me, is that in the Love Languages test I have one extremely high primary language (scores the highest possible), and the other four score far below.

Why are we talking about this, you ask? 


Because today, I am feelin it.
My crazy high scoring language is physical touch. There's a lot that goes in to that for me, and my "physical touch" probably looks very different from someone else's. Today, I am feeling the lack of it. Sometimes a girl just needs a freakin' hug.

[in fact, I think that I really need this. you know how I feel about the nook.]

I don't need words, I don't need advice, I don't need gifts, I don't need you to do anything for me... just a little huggin'.

I have a friend, Duke.
I love this face. 

Duke used to be one of my bests, but I haven't seen him in several years [because he's really really awesome and has spent most of the last 4-5 years in Germany or Egypt doing things for Jesus]. Duke is one of the best huggers I know. He fully commits to a hug and doesn't ever give you a choice in the matter. He is sometimes guilty of the tackle-hug. [really. once, I got gym burn.]  And you know what? They were my favorite.

[realizing right now that my grumpy opinionated self has morphed into a much more sentimental form.]

I wanted you to meet Duke, because today, when all.i.really.want is a good hug, I think about Duke. I think about how great he is for being my friend and for loving people well. I think about the thousands of hugs I got from him and how in the weird Erin way, I knew that he loved me because of those hugs.

And that makes me a little less grumpy.

Oh, The Glorious - Brett Dennen

No comments: