Thursday, January 17, 2008

sew on patches to all you tear

Have you ever seen The Natural?

It is a wonderfully felicitous film about love and baseball (which is why I KNOW you are not surprised I'm blogging about it). In my favorite scene Robert Redford (the baseball star) is in this terribly sad slump and getting picked on shamefully. In an unsolicited act of defense, Glenn Close (the estranged love of his life) shows up in the stands. She doesn't make a fuss, cause a scene, or get anyone riled up; he doesn't even know she's there. She simply shows up, and sits in the stands quietly cheering him on and defending him with her presence. She knows he loves baseball; she knows its in his blood.
He comes up to bat, does terribly, and having previously been the hero - the crowd becomes outrageously vocal in their disappointment in his performance (or lack thereof). Just as he is about ready to give up; he drops the bat, drops his head and turns his back on the diamond. What happens next is the most wonderful thing! She, dressed in all white, just stands up. She doesn't say a word, she just stands. She flashes him a smile and stands; defending what she knows he is. (doesn't this sound like the blog of a particular John we know and love?) Of course, he goes on to hit a grand slam or something and redeems himself to the disappointed crowd, and he reunites with his only love.
I hope to be that brave someday. I hope to be the kind of love that will stand boldly in defense of my one & only, because I know for certain what he is about. But not just that.

I hope to be that brave today.

I hope to be the kind of friend who stands boldly in defense of my brothers & sisters, because I know Who they belong to. The ones who are hanging their head in defeat, desperately clinging to what is comfortable, and turning their backs on the diamond.

If you are falling, then I will catch you.
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cuz I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cuz I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.
I'd buy you Rogaine if you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.
Cuz I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.

No comments: