Friday, August 31, 2012

what the promise is for

This is a very special day. [for a lot of reasons, but that's a whole other post]

Today, my oldest sister celebrates 10 years of marriage. My favorite part of celebrating this milestone with her is recalling the beauty that the last 10 years has held for her. As someone who has been watching her my whole life, the last decade has been the most fun to watch. She's struggled, she's succeeded, she's worked hard, she's had three beautiful girls and two of the most charming little boys. She's served, ministered, and shared.

The only word I know to use for my sister's marriage is Redeemed. It didn't start right, but it has been the most wonderful thing to watch. And my sister, she is an amazing woman. She faithfully gives credit to her Sustainer, and I love watching her serve, forgive, encourage, and laugh with her husband. They have always been best friends - one of my favorite things is watching them laugh together.

My sister had dated her fair share of schmuck's. We were all pleasantly surprised when Lori started bringing Graham around - we liked him a lot from the start. I remember telling my other sister, Cathy, that Graham is not at all what I would have pictured Lori with, but I liked that. I liked that Graham didn't fit the mold. Ten years later, Graham is still keeping our family challenged and on our toes in the best way possible.

At the time Lori and  Graham were dating, she and I worked together. Let me tell you, it was a lot of fun to watch Lori come in to work after she'd been with Graham. She was smiling and happy and funny - my sister's not perfect, but Graham has always brought out the best in her.

While their marriage has never been perfect, it has always had purpose. And nothing about my sister and her husband has ever pointed to anything other than the Perfecter of their relationship. As the younger, single sister - I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to watch and learn from them; it's invaluable to me.

Thanks, Lori & Graham for modeling for me what un-perfect people are capable of when Jesus is in the middle of it. And thanks for those little munchkins that I get to love on and who love on me!





No comments: