Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lighting a ray of hope for me...and now I am free.

I dedicated this Reformation Day to praying for & through a couple of things by committing the first half of my day to fasting. I don't believe that there is anything "magical" in fasting, or in this particular calendar day, but I DO believe that God honors the sacrifice of His children. And I want to have some good 'ol quality time with my One.
Trading all that I have for all that is better.

I've spent this morning in my favorite coffee shop in efforts to avoid the distractions of home. I'm praying through Philippians 4:4-9 today:
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

It is my prayer that I always be rejoicing. When my friend's circumstances don't make sense and it's impossible to see where God is and what He is doing - I want to rejoice. And I want my friend to walk in the same joy. When ones that I love are walking in prodigal living; I want to praise God for remaining God.
All of my life, in every season, You are still God, I have a reason to sing.

It is my prayer that I excel in gentleness. Those of you who know me at all, you know that I have a way to go in the whole "gentle & quiet spirit" thing. God is gracious to me and continually providing me opportunities with inept co-workers, selfish family members, & military-bound friends to practice gentleness. I am praying that by God's grace my moments of gentleness will proclaim His excellencies to everyone in my little world.
It is my prayer that my anxiety would continually melt away in light of Who I believe God is. PTL for the little victories I've had in this area over the past three years. I literally laugh in delight when I think about how far the Lord has brought me. It was not that long ago that I never slept, rarely rested, and was fighting stomach ulcers and all sorts of health catastrophes because of my anxiety. I am not the same person. I am so thankful! In thanksgiving, I want to always present the things that fill my brain and my heart with worry to Him, and trust that He is who He says He is, and always working ALL things for my good.
It is my prayer that my heart and my mind be guarded. You know how much of a "feeler" I am - I have a "feeling" about everything. One word, one look, one touch - can send me into a tailspin of feelings. I enjoy those feelings, delight in those feelings, but do not want to be mastered by those feelings. I want those feelings to be appropriate and as I was reminded by a dear friend last night - I don't want to be an initiator of those feelings, but a responder.
I adjure you... by the gazelles or the does of the field, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases. SOS 2:7

It is my prayer that I always think on what's True. I have a big imagination; I don't want it to get in the way of the great in my life. I want to trust those in my life based on our covenant friendship and never rely on the speculations that my deceitful heart (Jer. 17:9) may be speaking to me. I want to be characterized by a woman of great faith, great heart, and great nobility, & great integrity. I want to be trusted ("The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." Prov. 31:11), I want to be an encouragement, I want to be lovely & admirable, I want to be a helper ("She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." Prov. 31:12).
I am asking God for clarity on a number of issues, and the discipline to follow through on what He reveals to me.

I'm feeling grateful for this Reformation Day; for the opportunity to sacrificially Reform my heart.
You make all things new.
You make all things new.
You make all things new.
You make all things, you make all things.

No comments: